Golden Lemon Split Pea Soup
We had two beautiful days in central Pennsylvania. The weather was warm and sunny. We took walks and the kids rode bikes and played basketball. We cooked our dinner on the grill and then ate outside under the glow of lights strung across our screened-in porch. You could almost believe it was a beautiful spring weekend. You could almost forget what was going on in the world. Almost being the key word here. Unfortunately, the soundtrack of our lives these days is the news, and the news is grim. Today, the rain has come and the weather seems more fitting for the turmoil swirling both beyond the confines of our yards and within in so many of our hearts. But sun or rain, good news or bad, we keep moving forward, finding comfort where we can.
Food is my comfort, as it is likely for you, too. We can discuss the physical and mental health perils of that at another time (maybe). For now, we are all looking for comfort wherever we can find it and if it’s food, then so be it! This soup has been my comfort this week. It is bright and nourishing, and exactly what I wanted and needed. As a bonus, if you keep a gluten & dairy free pantry, this soup is likely made from staple ingredients that you already have and does not require a trip to the grocery store. Yellow split peas are ideal, but if you only have green, just use those. It’s the perfect soup for a rainy Saturday! Get it started and while it cooks, break out a puzzle and an audio book, as Olive and I have been doing. Food is is a definite comfort in my world, but Harry Potter and puzzles is a very close second!
Be well friends. Stay home as much as you can, wash your hands often, and make lots of soup!Print
Golden Lemon Split Pea Soup
2 Tbl. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups chopped carrots
2 Tbl. fresh minced garlic
1 Tbl. grated fresh ginger
1/2 Tbl. turmeric
1 tsp. cumin
1 Tbl. sea salt
1 lb. yellow split peas (or green work fine too)
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
2 cups water
1 can full fat coconut milk
Juice and zest from one lemon
Additional lemon wedges & olive oil, if desired
1. Pour split peas into a mesh colander. Remove any discolored split peas and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add carrots, onions, garlic, and ginger. Sauté for 5 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
3. Add turmeric, salt, cumin, broth, water, and split peas. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, until split peas are cooked through.
4. Add lemon juice, zest, and coconut milk.
5. Keep soup as is or for a smoother consistency, remove one-half of the soup and blend until smooth. Pour blended soup back in the pot.
6. To serve, top with fresh cracked black pepper, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and an extra wedge of lemon.
- Makes approximately 9 cups
- Soup freezes very well