2 Tbl. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups chopped carrots
2 Tbl. fresh minced garlic
1 Tbl. grated fresh ginger
1/2 Tbl. turmeric
1 tsp. cumin
1 Tbl. sea salt
1 lb. yellow split peas (or green work fine too)
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
2 cups water
1 can full fat coconut milk
Juice and zest from one lemon
Additional lemon wedges & olive oil, if desired
1. Pour split peas into a mesh colander. Remove any discolored split peas and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add carrots, onions, garlic, and ginger. Sauté for 5 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
3. Add turmeric, salt, cumin, broth, water, and split peas. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, until split peas are cooked through.
4. Add lemon juice, zest, and coconut milk.
5. Keep soup as is or for a smoother consistency, remove one-half of the soup and blend until smooth. Pour blended soup back in the pot.
6. To serve, top with fresh cracked black pepper, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and an extra wedge of lemon.