Potsticker Meatball Soup
I pack soup for lunch just about every day. It’s easy to think of soup as strictly “winter food,” but I work with my husband who prefers to keep our office as cold as possible so every day is winter in our building! In January it’s chilly and drafty and in August the air conditioning is cranked so high that you need two sweaters to remain defrosted enough to type. Needless to say, I find hot soup to be welcome no matter the season.
Recently, I made the potstickers from over at Damn Delicious and they were indeed damn delicious. I was such a fan that I wondered if I could use the filling to make meatballs and float them in a soup kind of like an Italian wedding soup with an Asian twist. So that’s what I did. I modified the filling and shaped it into little potsticker meatballs and then used similar flavors to spice up the soup broth.
I know that rolling little meatballs sounds like a bit of a drag; but listen, when I made this soup over the weekend, I actually timed myself. It took 10 minutes. So turn on iTunes or a podcast, or whatever you like to listen to, and enjoy 10 minutes of your preferred entertainment while you roll them out.
Side note: if you have not tried this grated ginger in a tube, go out and buy it ASAP! It’s amazing, it saves so much time. It makes me want to put it in everything because there is no peeling or grating involved.
While the meatballs bake, prep the rest of your veggies, which basically just means go do some chopping. Saute the garlic, ginger, and pepperflakes until it smells nice and delicious. Add in your sauces and simmer for a few more minutes, then add the broth and throw everything else in.
This soup freezes really well so feel free to make a whole batch and divide it into portions for lunches. One day I even ate it cold and it was still good! Recipe card is below!
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped green cabbage
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 T. hoisin sauce
- 1 T. grated fresh ginger
- 1 T. sesame oil
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 1 T. grated fresh ginger
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 3 T. reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 T. hoisin sauce
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups sliced snow peas
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1. Combine all meatball ingredients and roll into balls using 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of turkey mixture for each meatball.
- 2. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- 3. While the meatballs are baking, prep the rest of your vegetables and start preparing the base of the broth.
- 4. Heat sesame oil in a large pot. Add ginger, garlic, and pepper flakes. Saute for 2 minutes until they become fragrant.
- 5. Add soy sauce and hoisin sauce and simmer for another two minutes. Slowly add broth and mix well.
- 6. Add cabbage, snow peas, carrots, green onions, and cooked meatballs. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Freezes well.
- Nutrition information is calculated based on 10 one cup servings.